Akok Akok announces his commitment to Georgetown. pic.twitter.com/JxFI10Z2eP— Shreyas Laddha (@shre98) May 3, 2022
Akok is the third transfer within the BIG EAST, following Corey Floyd Jr. transferring from UConn to Providence (after a red-shirt year) and DePaul’s David Jones moving to St. John’s.
Akok Akok is transferring after three years at UConn. Akok had also been looking at Pittsburgh and Ohio Sate recently.
Mass Rivals coach Vin Pastore told @PghSportsNow that Akok Akok has arrived on campus at #Pitt for his visit.— George Michalowski (@MichalowskiCBB) April 30, 2022
Visit was initially scheduled for last week, but after Akok caught an illness, it was pushed back to this week.https://t.co/0x4HWs0IM5
Akok was recruited by Patrick Ewing before he committed to UConn.
The current 2022-23 roster is expected to look like this right now:
5 Timothy Ighoefe 7-0 250 C Sr. Lagos, Nigeria / NBA Academy Africa
- 31 Wayne Bristol Jr. 6-6 205 G Sr. Upper Marlboro, Md. / St. Thomas More School (Conn.) Howard
- 32 Malcolm Wilson 7-0 205 C Sr. Columbia, S.C. / Ridge View
- Jay Heath 6-3 195 G Sr. Washington, D.C. / Woodrow Wilson
- Akok Akok 6-9 F 205 Manchester, NH / Putnam
- 2 Dante Harris 6-0 170 G Jr. Washington, D.C. / Lakeway Christian Academy [Tenn.]
23 Collin Holloway 6-6 220 F Jr. Baton Rouge, La. / Port Allen
24 Kobe Clark 6-6 180 F Jr. St. Louis, Mo. / Vashon
0 Aminu Mohammed 6-5 210 G So. Temple Hills, Md. / Greenwood Laboratory School [Mo.]
3 Tyler Beard 6-2 180 G So. Chicago, Ill. / Hargrave Academy [Va.]
4 Jalin Billingsley 6-8 225 F So. Cleveland, Ohio / Lutheran East
- 12 Jordan Riley 6-4 195 G So. Brentwood, N.Y. / Brentwood
- 21 Ryan Mutombo 7-2 252 C So. Atlanta, Ga. / The Lovett School
- Brandon Murray 6-5 214 F Baltimore, Md. / IMG Academy
- Primo Spears 6-3 185 Hartford, Conn. / Mt. Zion (Md.) Prep
- Incoming freshman Denver Anglin 6-2 G from New Jersey
- Incoming freshman D’Ante Bass 6-7 F from Savannah, Georgia
10 Chuma Azinge 6-3 183 G Sr. San Marino, Calif. (walk-on)
- 55 Victor Muresan 6-10 190 F Jr. Potomac, Md. (walk-on)
GUHoyas Press Release:
Georgetown Adds Akok Akok to 2022-23 Roster
WASHINGTON – Georgetown University’s men’s basketball team has announced the addition of Akok Akok to its 2022-23 roster. Akok has spent the last three years at UConn (2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22). The 6-foot-9 forward was born in Cairo, Egypt and moved to Manchester, New Hampshire.
ON THE RECORD
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to coach Akok Akok- I’ve liked his game for a long time. The way he blocks shots, shoots the ball and can be an anchor on defense - that’s something I’m looking forward to seeing from him next season.”
- Head Coach Patrick Ewing on Akok Akok
“I chose Georgetown because it was a great fit and I trust the coaching staff. I’ve known Coach Ewing for a while, Coach Nickelberry has worked with some people I know - they are both talented coaches and this is a great opportunity. Georgetown is an excellent school with a lot of history. I’m ready to get to work.” - Akok Akok on his decision to attend Georgetown
AKOK AKOK (FORWARD / 6-9 / 205)
- Appeared in 23 games, starting seven, averaging 3.4 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 14.0 minutes per game during the 2021-22 season.
- During the 2020-21 season, played limited minutes in seven games, averaging 1.3 points, 0.4 rebounds and blocked one shot per game.
- Made first appearance of the 2020-21 season on Jan. 9 vs. Butler. He had an impressive performance at Xavier, coming off the bench to hit 3-of-4 from the field, including a triple.
- During the 2019-20 season, he appeared in 25 games, starting 24, averaging 5.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks in 28.1 minutes per game, while shooting 41.3% from the floor.
- His 2.6 bpg in 2019-20 ranked 15th in the country and led the American Athletic Conference. Had a career-high seven blocks, as well as a career-best 13 points and seven rebounds against Tulsa (1/26/20).
Welcome, Akok! HOYA SAXA!