The full 2021-2022 schedule for your 2021 BIG EAST Tournament Champion Georgetown Hoyas and their BIG EAST foes has been released. There are some mixed feelings about the BIG EAST schedule so far, especially as we wait for time assignments and worry about the dreaded 9 PM start times.
The first of 20 huge conference matchups will be December 22 up in Providence. Another road test follows on December 28 in Omaha, Nebraska against Creighton. A four-game home stand against St. John’s, Xavier, Marquette, and Butler will bring the Hoyas to mid-January before a trip to Madison Square Garden on January 16 to face St. John’s. From there, it doesn’t get any easier.
One seriously disappointing note is the appearance that Georgetown will face Villanova on Saturday, February 19 at Finneran Pavilion rather than at the Wells Fargo Center. Tickets will be nearly impossible for Georgetown fans to get .
Georgetown’s regular season will close on the road at Seton Hall (March 2) and then at Xavier (March 5) before before the BIG EAST Tournament March 9-12.
The conference schedule release is just about right on time this autumn. As a big surprise this summer, Georgetown released the non-conference schedule in late July.
SCHEDULE NEWS: Georgetown Hoyas Release Non-Conference Schedule.— Casual Hoya (@CasualHoya) July 27, 2021
Patrick Ewing scheduled Syracuse, TCU, San Diego State, South Carolina, Siena, Howard, UMBC, Dartmouth and more https://t.co/yssijj9HfH pic.twitter.com/qpdbniQzEO
You can check the full schedule on GUHoyas. Importantly, the opener against Dartmouth is November 13th and the Syracuse home game is December 11th.
One other quickly approaching date is October 19th—BIG EAST Media Day.
Press Release from BIGEAST.com
BIG EAST Announces 2021-22 Men’s Basketball Conference Schedule
NEW YORK – The BIG EAST Conference announced its 2021-22 men’s basketball schedule today with dates and matchups. Tipoff times and television designations will be announced at a later date. The conference will play a 110-game regular-season schedule with all 11 teams playing 20 league games in a double round-robin format.
League play begins on Friday, December 17, with Villanova at Creighton. The Wildcats and Bluejays are the two BIG EAST teams that advanced the farthest in last year’s NCAA Tournament. Both squads advanced to the Sweet 16 round. The regular season ends on Saturday, March 5, with 10 of the 11 teams in action.
The matchups are: Villanova at Butler, DePaul at Connecticut, Seton Hall at Creighton, Georgetown at Xavier and St. John’s at Marquette.
The BIG EAST Tournament Presented by Jeep will be played in Madison Square Garden for the 40th consecutive year. It is the longest running postseason championship in college basketball at the same venue. The dates of the 2022 tourney are March 9-12.
Press Release from GUHoyas.com
Men’s Basketball Announces Conference Schedule Presented by MedStar Health
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University men’s basketball team released the conference portion of the 2021-22 schedule, presented by MedStar Health, on Thursday morning as the BIG EAST Conference released the full slate of conference action. Tipoff times and broadcast information will be released at a later date.
2021-22 MEN’S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE PRESENTED BY MEDSTAR
- The Hoyas are again slated for a 20-game conference schedule, playing each school in a double round robin format.
- Georgetown opens BIG EAST play on Wednesday, December 22 with a trip to Providence, Rhode Island to face the Friars at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. In an abbreviated 2020-21 campaign, the Blue & Gray only faced PC once, a 73-72 win at McDonough Arena.
- The Hoyas will host BIG EAST teams back to Capital One Arena five times this season (Saturday, Jan. 1 - St. John’s; Saturday, Jan. 22 - Villanova; Sunday, Feb. 6 - Providence; Saturday, Feb. 12 - Creighton; Sunday, Feb. 27 - UConn) as well as a Friday night tilt against Marquette on Jan. 7.
- Georgetown will face back-to-back conference foes on the road on four different occasions. The league schedule is bookended by back-to-back road trips (Wednesday, Dec. 22 - at Providence; Tuesday, Dec. 28 - at Creighton and Wednesday, March 2 - at Seton Hall; Saturday, March 5 - at Xavier). Additionally, the Hoyas will hit consecutive road games twice in the middle of the season (Tuesday, Jan. 25 - at Uconn; Saturday, Jan. 29 - at Butler and Wednesday, Feb. 16 at Marquette; Saturday, Feb. 19 at Villanova).
- The abbreviated 2020-21 season saw the Hoyas go 7-9 in league action to earn the No. 8 seed in the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament. Following a COVID pause, Georgetown closed regular season conference play with a 6-4 record before heading to Madison Square Garden.
- The eighth-seeded Hoyas won the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament, winning four games in four days at Madison Square Garden to secure its league-leading eighth BIG EAST Tournament title and a berth to the 2021 NCAA Tournament, its first since the 2015 season.
- The BIG EAST Tournament Presented by Jeep will be played in Madison Square Garden for the 40th consecutive year. It is the longest running postseason championship in college basketball at the same venue. The dates of the 2022 tourney are March 9-12.
ALL FANS FREE ON NOV. 13! As a thank you to all Hoyas fans for supporting the team from afar last year and to celebrate having fans back in the arena, all fans will be able to request a free ticket to attend the Georgetown men’s basketball 2021-22 home opener against Dartmouth on Saturday, November 13th. To request your free ticket for the Hoyas’ home opener, fill out the form at wearegeorgetown.com/freehoyasgame. (Season Ticket Holders do not need to fill out this form.)