The Georgetown Hoyas have released their 2021-22 non-conference schedule—in July!
Georgetown fans will, of course, be excited to mark the calendar for the December 11th match-up with Syracuse. Outside of that, the schedule offers seven opportunities to see the Hoyas at home. This year that home appears to be Capital One Arena, with the 2020-21 residency back at McDonough coming to a close.
Dartmouth (Kenpom #275 in 2021), Siena (#186), Longwood (#247), UMBC (#172), or Howard (#314) are hardly the extra surprises the season-ticket holders were hoping for. Patrick Ewing and the Hoyas cannot afford to take any losses to that group this year.
Starting the season on Saturday, November 13th against Dartmouth give the Hoyas three games before heading to Anaheim for the 2-game tournament over Thanksgiving and facing San Diego State (Kenpom #30, ranked #6 last year).
This is a good schedule. By far Georgetown's best in the Patrick Ewing era. Well done. https://t.co/JWpoKZQfKu— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) July 27, 2021
Overall, the OOC schedule does not appear to be the make-or-break for tournament hopes—that likely still lies with GU’s success in the BIG EAST portion of the schedule.
With TCU on Saturday, December 18th, Georgetown could start the conference season the week before Christmas.
Press Release from GUHoyas:
Georgetown Basketball Releases 2021-22 Nonconference Schedule Presented by MedStar Health
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University men’s basketball team has announced the nonconference portion of it’s 2021-22 schedule, presented by MedStar Health. The Hoyas will play an 11-game nonconference schedule with eight matchups within the friendly confines of Capital One Arena. The Blue & Gray will compete in the previously announced Paycom Wooden Legacy, held November 25 and 26 in Anaheim, California as well as travel to Columbia, South Carolina to face the Gamecocks as part of a home-and-home series. Tip times and broadcast information will be released at a later time.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 13 - DARTMOUTH // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as mandated by the Ivy League, Dartmouth did not compete during the 2020-21 season. During the 2019-20 season, the Big Green went 12-17 overall with a 5-9 mark in Ivy League action.
- The Hoyas and Big Green are 1-1 all-time with the last meeting coming during the 1974-75 season. Dartmouth narrowly edged out the Blue & Gray in a 57-56 decision.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 16 - AMERICAN // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- American went 4-6 during the 2020-21 season with a 4-5 mark in Patriot League action.
- Georgetown leads the series 46-8 with the last meeting coming during the 2019-20 season. The Hoyas won the matchup 80-60 with Omer Yurtseven’s 17 points leading a trio of Hoyas in double figures with Terrell Allen and Jahvon Blair each chipping in 14.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 20 - SIENA // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- Siena went 12-5 overall during the 2020-21 season with a 12-4 mark in MAAC play.
- The Hoyas trail the all-time series against the Saints 4-2 with the last matchup coming during the 1973-74 season, a 70-56 home win for the Blue & Gray.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 25 - VS. SAN DIEGO STATE // ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA (ANAHEIM CONVENTION CENTER) PAYCOM WOODEN LEGACY
- San Diego State has been crowned Mountain West’s regular-season champion the past two seasons, under head coach Brian Dutcher, who boasts a 96-31 record over the last four seasons for the 10th best win total among NCAA Division I schools during the period.
- During the 2020-21 season, the Aztecs went 23-5 with a 14-3 mark in league action. SDSU advanced to the NCAA Tournament, dropping a 78-62 decision to Syracuse in the first round.
- It will be the first ever matchup between the Hoyas and the Aztecs.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26 - VS. USC OR SAINT JOSEPH’S // ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA (ANAHEIM CONVENTION CENTER) PAYCOM WOODEN LEGACY
- The Trojans sported a 25-8 overall record, and advanced to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.
- Saint Joseph’s finished the 2020-21 season with a 5-15 record, winning four of its final five games. The Hawks enter their third season under head coach Billy Lange.
- The Hoyas hold a slim 17-16 edge over the Hawks in the head-to-head series while they have never faced the Trojans.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 30 - LONGWOOD // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- Longwood went 12-17 overall during the 2020-21 season with an even 10-10 mark in Big South action. The Lancers advanced to the College Basketball Invitational, dropping an 80-66 decision to Pepperdine.
- This will be the first ever matchup against the Lancers.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 5 - AT SOUTH CAROLINA // COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA (COLONIAL LIFE ARENA)
- South Carolina went 6-15 during the 2020-21 season, including a 4-11 mark in SEC play.
- This will be the sixth all-time meeting between South Carolina and Georgetown with the Hoyas holding the 4-1 edge. The series dates back to February 10, 1923, when the Hoyas won 31-14. The Blue & Gray won the first four games of the series but the Gamecocks won the most recent meeting, a 69-66 decision in the 2005 NIT Tournament.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 8 - UMBC // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- UMBC went 14-6 overall with a 10-5 mark in America East play last season.
- Georgetown leads the series 4-0, winning a pair of nonconference matchups during Head Coach Patrick Ewing’s tenure. During the 2020-21 season opener, Jahvon Blair’s 23 points led a quartet of Hoyas in double figures to the 70-62 victory.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11 - SYRACUSE // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- Syracuse went 18-10 overall with a 9-7 mark in ACC action. The Orange advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen before a setback against Houston.
- Georgetown trails the all-time series 44-52. The Hoyas fell 74-69 at the Carrier Dome during the 2020-21 season. Jamorko Pickett led a trio of Hoyas in double figures with 17 points while Jahvon Blair and Donald Carey added 16 and 10, respectively.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 15 - HOWARD // CAPITAL ONE ARENA
- In a shortened season, Howard went 1-4 before canceling the remainder of its season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Hoyas own a perfect 10-0 record against the Bison. In the last meeting, Georgetown had a quartet of players in double figures, led by Jessie Govan’s 23, en route to a 102-67 victory during the 2018-19 season.
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 18 - TCU // CAPITAL ONE ARENA - BIG EAST-BIG 12 BATTLE
- TCU went 12-14 last season, including a 5-11 mark in Big 12 play.
- This will be the first ever meeting between the Hoyas and Horned Frogs.
Georgetown finished the 2020-21 season with a 13-13 record, making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2014-15 season. The Hoyas went 7-9 in BIG EAST play, before winning four games in four days to win the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament for the program’s league-best eighth title. Head Coach Patrick Ewing became the first person to win the BIG EAST Tournament as both a player and coach.
Georgetown men’s basketball season ticket holders from the 2019-20 season will be able to renew their season tickets this week. The Georgetown athletic ticket office will send an email with more information on season ticket renewals on July 27. For more information on season tickets, please contact the ticket office at firstname.lastname@example.org.