UPDATE: The matchup between Georgetown and San Diego State is official—as is a late time slot. See the press release below.
The matchups for the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy appear to be set and, according to Jon Rothstein, your fighting Hoyas of Georgetown will face the San Diego State Aztecs on November 25, 2021. USC will play St. Joseph’s.
NEWS: Matchups are set for the 2021 Wooden Legacy, according to a source.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) July 14, 2021
Georgetown/San Diego State
As previously confirmed, Georgetown will join USC, Saint Joseph’s, and San Diego State on November 25 and 26 at the Anaheim Convention Center. There are expected to be only two games and the matchups, with travel and ticket information, will be announced later:
Make plans to spend Thanksgiving in beautiful Southern California supporting your favorite team! The official team hotel of the Paycom Wooden Legacy is the Hilton Anaheim and is located across the street from Disneyland Resort and adjacent to Anaheim Arena.
With San Diego State ranked #30 last season on Kenpom.com, St. Joe’s ranked #202, and USC ranked #6, Georgetown (#63) fans likely are happy facing the Aztecs, with the hope of meeting the Trojans after a win, rather than the Hawks.
"The field for the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy, to be played November 25 and 26, at the Anaheim Convention Center, includes Georgetown, Saint Joseph’s, San Diego State and USC ... The four-team, two-day tournament will be played under a new format..." https://t.co/o6QtB3Spmy pic.twitter.com/hW3mbAZCn5— Philadelphia Hoyas (@PhillyHoyas) May 20, 2021
According to Jon Rothstein, a while back, Georgetown was reportedly replacing TCU—the Hoyas’ BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle buddy—in the Wooden Legacy, held in Anaheim California. Georgetown was involved with the Wooden Legacy in 2020 with UCLA, UVA, and Kansas until COVID-19 got in the way. See the May 2021 press release from GUHoyas (May 2021).
Sources: Georgetown, USC, San Diego State, and St. Joe's to headline 2021 Wooden Legacy.https://t.co/IsfOue6wpo— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 23, 2021
We're excited to announce the 2021 @Paycom Wooden Legacy Teams! Visit https://t.co/crueXDkd5S to sign up for special offers and updates.— The Paycom Wooden Legacy (@TheWoodenLegacy) May 20, 2021
.@GeorgetownHoops@Aztec_MBB@SJUHawks_MBB@USC_Hoops#CBB #CollegeBasketball #Basketball #PaycomWoodenLegacy #FeastWeek #ESPNEvents pic.twitter.com/XtWL8S0SGx
Saint Joseph's fans, mark your ️ as the Hawks are headed to the West Coast this November 25 and 26 as they compete for the 2021 @TheWoodenLegacy in Anaheim‼️ #THWND | #theSTORY pic.twitter.com/fcQ4tWoUVH— SJU Hawks MBB (@SJUHawks_MBB) May 20, 2021
The Hoyas currently have 5 games on the 2021-22 schedule, in addition to the expected 20 BIG EAST games.
- San Diego State on November 25, and one of USC or Saint Joseph’s on November 26 (Paycom Wooden Legacy - Anaheim)
- at South Carolina Gamecocks on Saturday, December 5th
- hosting Texas Christian University on Saturday, December 18 (BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle)
- hosting American University
New press release from GUHoyas:
Matchups Announced for Paycom Wooden Legacy
WASHINGTON – The matchups for the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy have been revealed. The two-day, four-game tournament will be played Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26 at the Anaheim Convention Center Arena. Joining the Hoyas in the four-team affair will be Saint Joseph’s (Atlantic 10), San Diego State (Mountain West) and USC (Pac-12). Georgetown will face San Diego State on Thursday, November 25 at 11:30 p.m. ET, with the game airing on ESPN2.
The other matchup, USC vs. Saint Joseph’s, will precede GU’s game with tipoff scheduled for 9:30 p.m. ET. On Friday, November 26, the third-place game will take place at 9 p.m. ET (ESPNU) while the championship game will be held at 11:30 p.m. and air on ESPN2. More information on tickets will be released at a later date.
ABOUT THE PAYCOM WOODEN LEGACY FIELD
- In the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament, Georgetown defeated Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall and Creighton to win the conference championship and advance to the NCAA Tournament.
- Both USC and San Diego State finished last season ranked in the AP Top 25.
- The Trojans sported a 25-8 overall record, and advanced to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.
- San Diego State has been crowned Mountain West’s regular-season champion the past two seasons, under head coach Brian Dutcher, who boasts a 96-31 record over the last four seasons for the 10th best win total among NCAA Division I schools during the period.
- Saint Joseph’s won four of their last five games to end last season and enter the 2021-22 season under third-year head coach Billy Lange.
- It will be the first ever matchup between the Hoyas and San Diego State.
GEORGETOWN’S 2021-22 SCHEDULE
- The Hoyas will face San Diego State on November 25 as part of the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy. The third-place game and championship game will be determined from the other matchup (USC vs. Saint Joseph’s) and played on November 26. All games will be played at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
- Georgetown will also face South Carolina as part of the 2020-21 schedule.
- The Blue & Gray will also host TCU as part of the BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle.
Georgetown finished the 2020-21 season with a 13-13 record, making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2014-15 season. The Hoyas went 7-9 in BIG EAST play, before winning four games in four days to win the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament for the program’s league-best eighth title. Head Coach Patrick Ewing became the first person to win the BIG EAST Tournament as both a player and coach.