Georgetown announces a home-and-home series with South Carolina beginning this season on the road (12/5).— Bobby Bancroft (@BobbyBancroft) June 15, 2021
Hoyas hold a 4-1 all-time lead.
Please do yourself a favor and watch Kevin Braswell and a ranked Hoyas team quiet the Gamecocks crowd in Dec 2001https://t.co/waborFj4cL
Coincidentally, Malcolm Wilson and transfer Kaiden Rice both played high school basketball for Ridge View in Columbia, SC.
GUHoyas Press Release:
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University men’s basketball team will travel to Columbia, South Carolina to play the University of South Carolina Gamecocks on Saturday, December 5 as part of a home-and-home series. Georgetown will cap the series hosting the Gamecocks for a weekend matchup in December 2022 at Capital One Arena. Time and broadcast information will be released at a later date.
ABOUT THE GAMECOCKS
- South Carolina went 6-15 during the 2020-21 season, including a 4-11 mark in SEC play.
- The Gamecocks advanced to the 2017 Final Four as a No. 7 seed.
- South Carolina is led by Head Coach Frank Martin, who owns a 153-134 record since taking over the program in 2012. Under his tutelage, the Gamecocks have advanced to one NCAA Tournament and one NIT.
ALL-TIME AGAINST SOUTH CAROLINA
- This will be the sixth all-time meeting between South Carolina and Georgetown with the Hoyas holding the 4-1 edge.
- The series dates back to February 10, 1923, when the Hoyas won 31-14. The Blue & Gray won the first four games of the series but the Gamecocks won the most recent meeting, a 69-66 decision in the 2005 NIT Tournament.
- In the 2005 NIT matchup, Darrel Owens led all scorers with a career high 26 points and 10 boards.Brandon Bowman added 12 while Ashanti Cook and future All-American Jeff Green added nine and eight points, respectively.
GEORGETOWN’S 2021-22 SCHEDULE
- The contest against South Carolina is the fourth on Georgetown’s 2020-21 schedule.
- The Blue & Gray will also face TCU as part of the BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle.
- The Hoyas are also a part of the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy where they will play two games against a field that includes USC, Saint Joseph’s and San Diego State. Games will be played November 25 and 26 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.
Georgetown finished the 2020-21 season with a 13-13 record, making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2014-15 season. The Hoyas went 7-9 in BIG EAST play, before winning four games in four days to win the 2021 BIG EAST Tournament for the program’s league-best eighth title. Head Coach Patrick Ewing became the first person to win the BIG EAST Tournament as both a player and coach.
South Carolina Press Release:
COLUMBIA, S.C. – University of South Carolina head men’s basketball coach Frank Martin announced on Tuesday a home-and-home series with Georgetown, set to begin on Dec. 5, 2021, in Columbia. The return meeting in Washington is set for a weekend matchup in December 2022.
”I can’t express how excited I am to be able to play a game against a program like Georgetown, led by one of the great people in the game of basketball in Patrick Ewing,” Martin said. ”Georgetown is coming off of a great run last year, an NCAA Tournament run, and it’s one of the historic programs that in my lifetime, we all grew up respecting. Coach Thompson, even though he’s not with us in person anymore, the spirit and the strength that he built the Georgetown program on, we all still look to his example in college basketball as we try to grow the game and grow the people who play the game. Being able to start this series is going to be great for our program, for basketball and for everyone who will be a part of it.”
The matchup this December will mark the sixth all-time between the Gamecocks and Hoyas, and the first since the 2004-05 campaign. In that last meeting, Carlos Powell scored 21 points and was 9-of-10 at the free throw line in a 69-66 Carolina win at the Colonial Center in the NIT Quarterfinals to advance the Gamecocks to the event’s Semifinals in New York City. Carolina defeated Maryland in the Semifinals, and would go on to clinch the NIT Championship with a three-point win over St. Joseph’s.
The series dates back to a 31-14 Georgetown win in Washington on Feb. 10, 1923. The teams have never met on a neutral court, and the series is tied at 1-1 in Columbia, and the Hoyas have won all three meetings on their homecourt…