The Georgetown University Men’s Soccer program begins their campaign to defend their NCAA National Championship as exhibitions begin this week and the season starts February 16th at GWU. In the fall, the NCAA postponed the men’s soccer season to the spring due to COVID-19.
The Hoyas were also picked first in the BIG EAST Conference East Division Preseason Coaches Poll and five Hoyas earned preseason honors including two major award winners.
Senior Rio Hope-Gund was named the BIG EAST Preseason Defensive Player of the Year and junior Giannis Nikopolidis selected as the BIG EAST Preseason Co-Goalkeeper of the Year.
Seniors Derek Dodson and Jacob Montes as well as junior Sean Zawadzki all earned nods to the Preseason All-BIG EAST squad.
Here is the schedule (for now):
- Feb 10 (Wed) 3 p.m. EXHIBITION at VCU Richmond, Va.
- Feb 13 (Sat) 3 p.m. EXHIBITION at Pitt Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Feb 16 (Tue) 1:00 PM Away George Washington Washington, D.C.
- Feb 19 (Fri) 12:00 PM Home James Madison Shaw Field
- Feb 23 (Tue) 7:00 PM Away George Mason Fairfax, Va.
- Feb 27 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away Villanova Villanova, Pa.
- Mar 3 (Wed) 2:00 PM Home Seton Hall Shaw Field
- Mar 6 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Providence Providence, R.I.
- Mar 10 (Wed) 2:00 PM Away UConn Storrs, Conn.
- Mar 13 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home St. John’s Shaw Field
- Mar 17 (Wed) 2:00 PM Home Villanova Shaw Field
- Mar 20 (Sat) 3:00 PM Away Seton Hall South Orange, N.J.
- Mar 27 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Providence Shaw Field
- Apr 3 (Sat) 1:00 PM Home UConn Shaw Field
- Apr 10 (Sat) 6:00 PM Away St. John’s Jamaica, N.Y.
GUHOYAS Press Release
Men’s Soccer Announces 2021 Spring Schedule
WASHINGTON – Georgetown University Men’s Soccer Head Coach Brian Wiese announced the 2020-21 spring competition schedule presented by MedStar Health which will consist of 13 games that will begin in mid-February. The Hoyas will play a pair of exhibition games before three nonconference matches followed by 10 BIG EAST competitions, with six contests scheduled to be played at Shaw Field.
The Hoyas will face VCU and Pitt in exhibition matchups on Feb. 10 and 13 before opening the season at George Washington on Feb. 16. GU’s first home game at Shaw Field will be against James Madison on Feb. 19 before traveling to George Mason on Feb. 23.
BIG EAST Conference play has been divided into two different geographic divisions this season. GU sits in the East Division and will play all five opponents in a home-and-home series.
The home matchups consist of Seton Hall (March 3), St. John’s (March 13), Villanova (March 17), Providence (March 27) and UConn (April 3) which rejoined the league this season.
The Hoyas hit the road to Villanova (Feb. 27), Providence (March 6), UConn (March 10), Seton Hall (March 20) and end regular-season play at St. John’s (April 10).
The BIG EAST Championship takes place April 14-17 and will be hosted by the highest overall seed across both divisions.
The Hoyas had a historic run winning the national championship with a 3-3 victory over Virginia that was decided in penalty kicks, 7-6. GU finished the year with a mark of 20-1-3 which set the program record for wins in a season. Georgetown also boasted the program’s first three-peat, winning the BIG EAST Championship for the third-consecutive year in a 3-1 victory over Providence College at Shaw Field. It was just the second time in program history that the squad has won both the regular season and the championship in the same year.