College basketball season is slated to tip-off in 12 days, and we finally have the official plan from Georgetown Athletics. Your Georgetown Hoyas are currently committed to play nine games; five against non-conference opponents and four with other BIG EAST teams.
Another big (though unsurprising) piece of news that was confirmed here is that the Hoyas’ home games will be played on campus, at McDonough Gymnasium.
Full text of the release is below:
MBB Media Announcement
- To start the 2020-21 season, members of the media will not be permitted to cover home Georgetown University men’s and women’s basketball games in person. This decision is driven by public health conditions and the University’s responsibility to keep the community safe. This is consistent with the University’s current media policy on campus.
- Media looking to cover a game should still fill out a request form to receive all game-related materials and access to interviews. CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR CREDENTIALS
- Game notes will be made available electronically.
- Both the home and away teams will do a live postgame press conference via Zoom, media members MUST fill out the request form to receive access to the press conferences.
- Georgetown will allow one photographer in the building and will make select images available to national wire services as well as to media upon request.
- Contractually obligated media outlets will work with the University for limited access when required.
- Media availability throughout the season will be completed via Zoom
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2020
Georgetown Basketball Releases 2020-21 Schedule Presented by MedStar Health
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University men’s basketball team has announced a portion of it’s 2020-21 schedule, presented by MedStar Health. The Hoyas will play five games against non-BIG EAST opponents with four contests being played on GU’s campus at McDonough Arena.
Additionally, the BIG EAST Conference previously announced four league contests that will be played in December. The Hoyas open BIG EAST play with a home game against Villanova on Friday, December 11. Two days later, Georgetown will play host to UConn on Sunday, December 13. The final two games for the Hoyas will be on Sunday, December 20 with a road trip to St. John’s, followed by a game at Seton Hall on Wednesday, December 23.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 25 - UMBC - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● The Hoyas are 3-0 all-time against the Retrievers, including a win in the first round of the 2008 NCAA Tournament. The two teams met at Capital One Arena during the 2019-20 season, with the Hoyas coming away with an 81-55 victory.
● Jahvon Blair finished with 15 points, hitting a trio of 3-pointers, and Jamorko Pickett had 12 points. Qudus Wahab came off the bench and had then-career highs of 10 points and nine rebounds, while also adding three blocks.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1 - NAVY - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● Georgetown and Navy have met 56 times in the history of the two programs, with the Midshipmen holding a 37-19 series advantage. However, the Hoyas have won the past four meetings dating back to the 1977-78 season.
● In the most recent matchup during the 2006-07 campaign, Georgetown pulled out a 65-44 victory behind Jeff Green’s 20 points and nine rebounds along with 15 points from Roy Hibbert.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6 - WEST VIRGINIA - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● The former BIG EAST foes will meet for the 53rd time in the second rendition of the Big 12-BIG EAST Battle. Last year, the Hoyas defeated then-No. RV/25 Oklahoma State 81-74 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
● The Hoyas and Mountaineers last met in the first round of the 2014 NIT at McDonough Arena. D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera had a season-high 32 points and 10 rebounds while Market Starks added14 points, a career-high seven rebounds, and seven assists.
● The Blue & Gray holds a 27-25 lead in series with West Virginia.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8 - COPPIN STATE - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● The two teams have met just twice before, with the Hoyas winning both matchups.
● In the most recent meeting during the 2017-18 season, Jessie Govan led the Hoyas to a 76-60 win with 26 points and 16 rebounds while Marcus Derrickson and Pickett each added 13 points.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11 - VILLANOVA - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● Georgetown and Villanova will meet for the 87th time when the Wildcats visit McDonough Arena.
● Last season, the Hoyas fell to Villanova 80-66 in Philadelphia before dropping a heart-breaking 70-69 decision at Capital One Arena to close out the regular season.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 13 - UCONN - MCDONOUGH ARENA
● The two longtime rivals renew their series as UConn has rejoined the BIG EAST following a seven-year absence. The Hoyas and Huskies have met 66 times previously, with GU holding a 36-30 series advantage.
● Georgetown leads the all-time series 36-30, and won the most recent meeting 72-69 during the 2016-17 season. L.J. Peak scored 21 points, while Jessie Govan added 15 points and Rodney Pryor chipped in 14.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 20 - ST. JOHN’S - NEW YORK, NEW YORK
● The Hoyas will travel to New York for their first road contest of the season, matching up with St. John’s for the 117th time in program history.
● Georgetown swept the regular season series last year, winning 87-66 at Capital One Arena before winning 73-72 at Madison Square Garden behind Blair’s 23 points. The Red Storm defeated the Hoyas in the BIG EAST Tournament.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 23 - SETON HALL - SOUTH ORANGE, NEW JERSEY
● December will close with a road game at Seton Hall, the 111th all-time meeting between the two schools. Georgetown leads the series with a 59-51 record.
● The Pirates won both matchups last year, taking a 78-62 win in South Orange before edging the Hoyas 78-71 at Capital One Arena.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9 - SYRACUSE - SYRACUSE, NEW YORK
● The Blue & Gray will jump out of conference play to continue its longtime rivalry with Syracuse. The January 9 matchup will be the 95th all-time meeting, with the Orange holding a 51-43 series lead.
● Georgetown won last year’s meeting at Capital One Arena, coming away with an 89-79 victory behind four Hoyas in double figures.