Yurtseven Named to BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll
WASHINGTON – Georgetown University men’s basketball center Omer Yurtseven was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Monday following a 1-1 week for the Blue & Gray. In a midweek matchup, Georgetown took down then-No. 25/RV Creighton 83-80 before falling 84-80 to a visiting Marquette squad, in a game decided by late free throws. Yurtseven averaged a double-double with 21.0 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. The senior shot 58.1 percent from the floor and tallied four blocks in a pair of games. Against the then-25th-ranked Bluejays, Yurtseven led the squad with 20 points and 13 boards. On Saturday, the senior managed 22 points and a squad-best 11 rebounds against the Golden Eagles for his second double-double in as many games. Yurtseven’s 10 double-doubles ranks second in the BIG EAST Conference. This is Yurtseven’s fifth nod to the honor roll and the fourth of the season for the Blue & Gray. His 16.9 ppg and 9.9 rpg lead the squad.
COMING UP NEXT
The Hoyas will travel to Cincinnati for a Wednesday night matchup at Xavier. Tipoff at the Cintas Center is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on FS1 with Thom Brennaman on play-by-ply and Nick Bahe providing analysis. Fans can listen locally on The Team 980 with Rich Chvotkin on the call.
Xavier Returns Home On Wednesday To Host Georgetown In BIG EAST Action
Two Musketeers have joined the Xavier 1,000 Point Club in January.
CINCINNATI --- The Xavier University Musketeers, 12-6 overall and 1-4 in the BIG EAST Conference, return home on Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. to host the Georgetown University Hoyas, 12-7 overall and 2-4 in the BIG EAST. XU is 9-2 this season at Cintas Center.
The Musketeers , who were off this past weekend, are shooting to snap a three-game losing streak, their longest of the season.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (12-6, 1-4 BIG EAST)
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY HOYAS (12-7, 2-4 BIG EAST)
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 22, 2020 AT 6:30 P.M. ET
CINTAS CENTER (10,224) IN CINCINNATI, OHIO
TV, RADIO AND LIVE STATS
Television: FS1 with play-by-play from Thom Brennaman and analysis from Nick Bahe.Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Broadcast is also available via Sirius XM (381) and Internet (981).
Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
• Xavier junior Naji Marshall and senior Tyrique Jones both recently joined the Xavier 1,000 Point Club. Marshall is now 51st on Xavier’s all-time scoring list (1,039) and Jones is 55th (1,009). Senior Quentin Goodin has 962 career points and junior Jason Carter is at 964, including 836 at Ohio.
• Xavier senior Tyrique Jones, who has grabbed 692 career rebounds, is 16 rebounds shy of entering the top 20 on Xavier’s all-time rebounding list.
• Xavier senior Quentin Goodin has 523 career assists, which is good for fourth place on Xavier’s all-time assist chart. He is 27 assists shy of third-place Tu Holloway (550 from 2008-12).
• Xavier senior Tyrique Jones, who is averaging 13.6 ppg. (17th in the BIG EAST), is third in the BIG EAST in overall rebounding (9.6 rpg.) and second in offensive rebounding (3.8 rpg.). GU’s 7-0 Omer Yurtseven is second (9.9 rpg.) and first (3.8) respectively.
• Xavier’s Naji Marshall leads the team in scoring at 16.7 ppg. (fifth in the BIG EAST) and is second in assists at 3.4 apg. (11th in the BIG EAST) and rebounding at 5.8 rpg. (13th in the BIG EAST).
• Xavier junior Paul Scruggs is second on the team in scoring at 14.7 ppg. (13th in the BIG EAST), including 19 points and nine rebounds vs. Creighton on Jan. 11.
• Xavier junior Jason Carter had 14 points vs. Seton Hall, second-highest total at XU.• Xavier freshman KyKy Tandy hit 4-6 3-pointers in the win over St. John’s on Jan. 5 for a XU career-high 12 points in a career-high 22 minutes of action.
• Xavier has graduated 109 straight men’s basketball seniors.