What a pleasant surprise from the BIG EAST to release the conference schedules for the Georgetown Hoyas and their 9 opponents.
Last year the announcement came a bit later in the month, on September 13th, 2018, with John Fanta and the BIG EAST Digital Media producing a live stream of segments highlighting each team’s schedule. The 12:45 stream on Twitter is expected to follow the same (17-minute) program.
With the opponents already established, the schedule announcement may be non-news to some. However, there are many GU season ticket holders itching to find out if their loathed rival will come to town at a time they can attend.
For instance, some are hoping that the home Villanova game will be on a weekend.
Georgetown could really benefit from getting a big Saturday crowd for Villanova, something that's only happened 2 times out of 6 since realignment.— Bobby Bancroft (@BobbyBancroft) September 5, 2019
Attendance and crowds can certainly factor in big games of the BIG EAST, but Patrick Ewing and the team may be more focused on when the “bye” week occurs, maximization of rest days between games, and minimization of travel inconveniences. Arenas’ availability and TV rights—CBS has licensed rights to some games from FS1 and FOX—can also impact the schedule.
Georgetown has already made positive steps this year in the eyes of some of their biggest schedule critics by upping the competition of their non-conference schedule (listen to some thoughts on the schedule in Kente Korner):
- NOV 6 (WED) VS MOUNT ST. MARY’S
- NOV 9 (SAT) VS CENTRAL ARKANSAS
- NOV 14 (THU) VS PENN STATE
- NOV 17 (SUN) VS GEORGIA STATE
- NOV 21 (THU) TEXAS NEW YORK, N.Y.
- NOV 22 (FRI) DUKE / CAL NEW YORK, N.Y.
- NOV 30 (SAT) VS UNC GREENSBORO
- DEC 4 (WED) AT OKLAHOMA STATE STILLWATER, OKLA.
- DEC 7 (SAT) AT SMU in DALLAS, TEXAS
- DEC 14 (SAT) VS SYRACUSE (1PM on FOX)
- DEC 17 (TUE) VS UMBC
- DEC 21 (SAT) VS SAMFORD
- DEC 28 (SAT) VS AMERICAN
The BIG EAST Conference Schedule is expected to begin on January 1st, 2020 and the Big East Men’s Basketball Tournament will begin on Wednesday, March 11, 2020.
Check back for updates, but in the meantime, what are your biggest hopes or concerns for the forthcoming conference schedule?
Georgetown Schedule... pic.twitter.com/VFAZpB5gtY— Philadelphia Hoyas (@PhillyHoyas) September 5, 2019
- TUES 12/31 at Providence FS1
- FRI 1/3 at Seton Hall FS1
- WED 1/8 St. John’s FS1
- SAT 1/11 at Villanova (VU schedule says Wells Fargo) FS1
- WED 1/15 Creighton CBSSN
- SAT 1/18 Marquette FS1
- WED 1/22 at Xavier FS1
- TUES 1/28 Butler CBSSN
- SUN 2/2 at St. John’s CBS
- WED 2/5 Seton Hall FS1
- SAT 2/8 DePaul FSN
- SAT 2/15 at Butler FOX
- WED 2/19 Providence FS1
- SAT 2/22 at DePaul FS1
- WED 2/26 at Marquette FS1
- SUN 3/1 Xavier CBS
- WED 3/4 at Creighton FSN
- SAT 3/7 Villanova FOX
Link to Georgetown Men’s Basketball Schedule on GUHoyas.com: http://www.guhoyas.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
Georgetown Men’s Basketball Announces 2019-20 Conference Schedule
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University men’s basketball 2019-20 conference schedule is set, as the BIG EAST Conference announced the full slate of games on Thursday. All 31 games on Georgetown’s schedule will be televised nationally with five total games on FOX or CBS and the remaining on the FOX Sports, ESPN and CBS Sports family of networks.
Georgetown’s conference schedule will again feature both a home and away bout with all nine league opponents. The Hoyas will host a quartet of weekend games against BIG EAST opponents.
Of Georgetown’s five games to be aired on FOX or CBS, four are in the conference portion of the season. The Hoyas will face St. John’s at Madison Square Garden on Sunday, February 2 with CBS carrying the matchup. A trip to Hinkle Fieldhouse will be aired on FOX when the Blue & Gray battles Butler on Saturday, February 15.
Georgetown’s penultimate home game will be televised on CBS when the Hoyas welcome Xavier to the District on Sunday, March 1. This year, the regular season will close at home with Georgetown hosting Villanova at Capital One Arena for a noon matchup on FOX.
Additionally, Georgetown’s rivalry matchup against Syracuse on December 14 will be televised on FOX with a 1 p.m. tipoff scheduled.
2019-20 Georgetown Men’s Basketball Schedule Notes• The Hoyas will play 18 of its 31 contests at home this season, including the first four within the friendly confines of Capital One Arena. Georgetown will play nine BIG EAST and nine nonconference games at its downtown home.
• Georgetown will potentially play seven teams that made the 2019 NCAA Tournament this season with a guaranteed six on the schedule: Georgia State (24-10, Sun Belt champion), Syracuse (20-14), Villanova (26-10, BIG EAST Tournament champion), Seton Hall (20-14), Marquette (24-10), St. John’ s (21-13) and potentially Duke (32-6, ACC champion) in the 2K Empire Classic. The Hoyas will also face 2019 NIT Champion Texas (21-16) as well as NIT top seed UNC Greensboro (29-7).
• Of its nine league games at home, four will be weekend matchups, with the first on Saturday, January 18. The Hoyas will host Marquette at Capital One Arena. Other weekend contests include DePaul (Saturday, February 8), Xavier (Sunday, March 1) and Villanova (Saturday, March 7).
• Georgetown carried an even 9-9 record in conference play last season, splitting the series with seven BIG EAST opponents.
Georgetown closed the 2018-19 campaign with an overall record of 19-14. With a berth to the 2019 NIT, the program made its first postseason bid of Head Coach Patrick Ewing’s tenure.
The Hoyas open the season on Wednesday, November 6 when Georgetown welcomes Mount St. Mary’s to Capital One Arena for a 7 p.m. matchup. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.