This is it! Get your popcorn ready kids, as the NCAA is finally ready to announce what should be a laundry list of infractions against Syracuse this afternoon at 1pm eastern. Will the Orange get off easy after its lame self-imposed NCAA Tournament ban this season? Will the NCAA finally come down hard on Jim Boeheim?
UPDATE: The answer is in. According to the NCAA, "Over the course of a decade, Syracuse University did not control and monitor its athletics programs, and its head men’s basketball coach failed to monitor his program . . . ."
The NCAA has levied the following sanctions:
- five years of probation for the basketball and football teams;
- financial penalties of $500 per game played with ineligible students;
- reduction of three men’s basketball scholarships per year for four years;
- vacation of wins in which ineligible students participated, including for the basketball team, games in which ineligible students played in 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 and, for the football team, games in which ineligible students played in 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07;
- a nine-game suspension in ACC play for Boeheim;
- a two-year restriction on recruiting for men’s basketball, during which only two coaches (instead of the usual four) will be allowed to recruit off campus.
NCAA investigation costs Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim 108 wins, drops him to 6th all-time | syracuse.com
Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was docked 108 wins by the NCAA on Friday, the largest number of vacated victories in the history of NCAA investigations. Boeheim previously had 966 wins but the vacated victories drop him to 858 for his career. The vacated victories knock him from second to sixth on the all-time wins list, dropping Boeheim below Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Jim Calhoun and Adolph Rupp.
The NCAA also accepted the school’s one-year postseason ban in men’s basketball it self-imposed after the NCAA hearing, among other measures outlined in the public decision.
This only adds to the ignominious and occasionally felonious history of Syracuse under Jim Boeheim. Here is the The Bible:
Crimes and Misdemeanors: A Complete Guide to The Syracuse Basketball Program Under Jim Boeheim
Feel free to share all of your thoughts pre and post announcement right here.
The dance floor is open.