Nothing quite warms the heart like getting press releases,especially ones featuring former Hoyas Henry Sims, Chris Wright and Austin Freeman!
(Washington, DC) - The countdown begins to DOBERMANIA! Only days away until hoops fans in the nation's capital have a reason to cheer again. Today, amid the ongoing controversy over team names in this town, The Basketball Alumni Legends League (The-BALL) announced the name for the Washington, D.C. team: The D.C. Dobermans. The name pays tribute to the District's military origins by remembering the Doberman as the official war dog for the U.S. Marines during World War II. The name was also inspired by the fact that the famed Chicago Bulls defense during the Phil Jackson years carried "The Doberman Defense" as its nickname.
The Doberman has a rich heritage in America and represents strength, speed, toughness, and loyalty," said Dan Peterson, President of the D.C. Dobermans. "Exactly the character and qualities we'll be looking to instill into the team we're building in Washington. It is our hope to build our own ‘Doberman Defense' right here. Trust me when I say the rest of the league will know exactly what bit ‘em. "
"Our D.C. team finally has a name and a brand identity, and we are excited to be unveiling it today. It's a first for The-BALL, and I promise there are many more names to come" said Michael Wranovics, The-BALL founder & CEO. "We look forward to our upcoming Showcase Series at GW and the opportunity to start building the Dobermans' legacy in our nation's capital."
Here is the updated roster for the first edition of the D.C. Dobermans:
· Georgetown: Austin Freeman, Chris Wright, Jonathan Wallace, and Henry Sims
· GW: Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Chris Monroe, Tony Taylor, and Danilo "JR" Pinnock
· George Mason: Jai Lewis
· American: Vlad Moldoveanu
· "The Doberman Defense" was the nickname of the Chicago Bulls defense during the Phil Jackson/Michael Jordan era;
· Dobermans by nature are strong, intelligent and very loyal canines and tend to be smart alecks;
· President John F. Kennedy was the owner of a pet Doberman during his teen years;
· There is a memorial in Guam for 25 U.S. Marines Dobermans that lost their lives during service in the Pacific.
Single game tickets range from $8 to $20. Additionally, VIP floor seats and group packages are available. For more information on The-BALL or to purchase tickets, visit http://the-ball.com.
2013 Summer Showcase Dates:
- July 27 (D.C. vs. Maryland)
- August 1 (D.C. vs. North Carolina)
- August 3 (D.C. vs. Virginia)
- August 5 (D.C. vs. Philadelphia)
Venue: Charles E. Smith Center at George Washington University (Foggy Bottom)
The Basketball Alumni Legends League (The-BALL) is a new professional league that features former college stars from hotbed basketball markets along the East Coast. The-BALL will provide local residents and visitors with high-quality entertainment during the summertime. The inaugural season for The-BALL will launch in 2014 with a 20-game season running from early June thru mid-August. The-BALL will include teams from Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Philadelphia, and New York.